How to set usage limit on embedded Pickaxes

A lot of customers have been asking how they can set a limit on the number of times people can use AI tools embedded on their websites. I thought I would write brief breakdown of how to set usage limits and why they’re useful.

While the Studio product has a more robust system for limiting AI usage by accounts, we also offer a way to set usage limits on embedded Pickaxes.

Why you might want to set usage limits
There are multiple reasons why you may want to set a usage limit on your embedded Pickaxe.

• Conserve your own credits/API. Importantly, when a smart-form or chatbot is embedded on your website, the tool will debit your Pickaxe credits or use your API key whenever it is used.
  • Encourage people to sign up for a paid tier. Many customers have two sections of their website-- one with unlimited usage and one with limited usage. By limiting usage on one tool, you can encourage them to upgrade to the paid tier.

How to set usage limits on embedded Pickaxes
To set an usage limit on your embedded AI tool, simply follow these instructions.

• Click on the tool in the dashboard to go to its control panel page
  • In the right-hand panel, look for a section called Privacy Settings and then go to the slider called Prompt Runs Per User (see screenshot)
  • Set a number.
  • Click save.

All embedded instances of that Pickaxe (whether they have already been embedded) will now apply that usage limit. Users are tracked by IP Address. The limits reset every 30 days. That means if an IP address visits your website and uses the embedded tool and gets limited, they will be able to start using it again after 30 days later.

If you’re looking for extra resources, here is a step-by-step guide on how to embed an AI chatbot on your website.

I will be using Pickaxe embedded on a Wordpress website. Is it possible to set multiple usage limits on the same embedded pickaxe? I want to offer multiple usage limits on the same pickaxe… essentially it would be setting tiers. I do not need monetization option.

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to added multiple different usage limits on the same embed. The workaround customers use is to create multiple versions of the same tool.

1 Like

Is there a way for me to customize the content when the user hits the limit…

I plan on allowing people to use a form AI once ONLY and sending them to a manual upgrade URL Link in the display content…

let me know,

1 Like

Currently there is not a way to customize the message end-users receive when they run out of uses on an embedded Pickaxe. You can only customize that message in the studio.

It is probably a feature we will add in the new future. We are going to re-organize the embed customization controls to all be in a single place and be more intuitive.

1 Like