Multiple Steps in my conversation

I have a tool, and I want to make sure it goes through multiple progressive steps (like step one talking about X, step two talking about Y, etc).

So far this works well for 2 or 3 steps, but it kinda breaks down after that and gets confused. Any advice on getting it to properly go through 5 or 6 steps?

1 Like

There are several ways to achieve “multi-stage conversations” and no single answer is the right one. Here are two options.

1. You can spell out in clear directions, what each stage of the conversation should be for the chatbot. For example, if you want it to sequentially ask 5 questions you can say:

You are an interview bot. You will interview the user and ask them 5 questions sequentially, one-at-a-time.

QUESTIONS

1. What is your name?
  2. What is… etc.

If your steps are more varied, you can replace the questions section with something like “conversation flow” and then just explain what each step is.

1. Using Semantic Prompt Design you can lay out the stages/goals of a conversation in a flexible way.
2 Likes

An UPDATE. We have added a multi-step prompt to the examples in the builder. Just click on the course creator example to see it.

Here’s a video walkthrough of how to construct a step-by-step prompt.

This is a great update, it is making me re-think my prompts. Do you have any guidance as to when you would use a variable vs asking questions? Thank you!

1 Like

This is really up to you and what type of experience you want to deign for your users.

Using a form-based tool with fill-in-the-blanks variables is good if you want to control the experience a lot and dont want your end-users straying from your intention.

Using a chatbot that asks questions is good for a more fluid, flexible experience. I prefer chatbots personally.

Thank you, that explanation helps!

1 Like